Summer Work Experience 2023
The Summer Work Experience Program will begin on July 5th 2023, end days and times will vary. Eligible participants are low-income young adults who reside in Lowell, Dracut, Tyngsboro, Chelmsford, Billerica, Dunstable, Tewksbury or Westford and are between the ages 14 and 25. Other eligibility applies. This program is a first come, first complete program so following the instructions and following up with additional steps is important.
Summer Work Experiences are temporary placements and monitored by the MassHire Lowell Career Center.
All participants will be interviewed in person for appropriateness and eligibility. Participants are required to provide all appropriate documentation.
- Young people interested in applying must be between 14 years of age and 25 years of age at the time of their eligibility interview
- Please note that just because you have signed up for an interview does not mean that you will receive a placement (Summer job)
- Dress for Success to your eligibility interview
- Use your own personal email address to apply, not a parental or guardian address
Please download and read the Internship Handbook for the Summer Work Experience Program 2023.
Step 1 of 3: Download and Complete the following Documentation
Step 2 of 3: Obtain the Necessary Documents to bring to the Interview
- Social Security Card
- Proof of Family Income (bring one of the following)
- Free or reduced lunch letter from school
- TANF recipient- Provide Award Letter
- SNAP recipient (food stamps)- Provide Award Letter
- Foster Child- Provide letter from DCF
- Homeless- Provide a letter from Shelter/Social Service Agency
- P-EBT card
- Proof of Age (bring one of the following)
- United States Birth Certificate
- Un-expired United States Passport
- Un-expired Alien Registration Card
- Other (ex. Naturalization papers)
- Proof of Residency (bring on of the following)
- Driver’s License/Driver’s Permit
- Employment Permit (Work Permit)
- Current bill
- Report Card with Home Address- Print out from school
- Picture ID
- School ID
- Drivers License
- Other Recognized identification
- Other important items to bring
- Report Card or Progress Report
- Court Documents (if applicable)
- IEP or 504B plan (if applicable)
- Completed paperwork from Step 1
Young people between the ages of 14 to 17 will need to acquire a work permit. In order to do this, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Schedule an eligibility interview below
- Bring your confirmation email to the MassHire Lowell Young Adult Career Center between 2:30 pm and 4:30 pm on either April 6th or April 13th to pick up your work permit application (which is necessary to get a completed work permit.)
- DO NOT get a blank work permit application from your school, the application you need is located at the MassHire Lowell Young Adult Career Center at 115 Merrimack Street, Lowell, MA 01852.
If you book your eligibility Interview after April 13th, you will need to get a work permit application the time of your interview.
Step 3 of 3: Schedule an Eligibility Interview
Please choose a date below and schedule yourself for an eligibility interview at which time you will need to bring all the above documents.
Please be aware that eligibility interviews will be conducted at the Young Adult Career Center at 115 Merrimack St. in Lowell.